Transform these plain mdf hearts with your choice of Christmas (or other) papers: hang on your tree or in a window, string them together to create bespoke bunting or maybe use the smaller ones as gift labels or present toppers. Kit includes a set of twine/raffia to hang them with.
Decoupage (the art of transforming an object with paper) is a fun creative activity that gives fantastic results.
There's lots of scope for creativity with these flat mdf shapes, which lend themselves well to applying the paper in different ways: use one flat piece so the whole pattern shows; apply torn pieces to create a mosaic effect; or cut out shapes from one pattern to set against another pattern as a background. It's also easy to jazz them up with buttons, bows, gems or other embellishments that you may have, with their flat surface to stick things onto.
Why not use your leftover glue and paper to upcycle some more objects - maybe make a jam jar light or sweet jar, or some Christmas pebble decorations?
You will receive full instructions with the kit on how to decoupage, as well as tips and creative ideas. Simply put, decoupage involves tearing paper into small pieces and sticking them one by one onto your object until it is covered in a paper mosaic. The special glue also acts as a varnish which protects the surface and gives your design a professionally painted look.
This kit contains:
- 8 x mdf hearts (4 large, 13cm, 4 small, 8cm)
- 1 x decoupage glue (100ml)
- 1 x decoupage brush
- 2 x decoupage paper collection*
- 1 x twine set (25m including red raffia, jute string, red/white candystripe twine)
- 1 x double sided A4 laminated sheet with a guide to decoupage, tips and ideas
*Each paper collection consists of either 3 wide sheets (approx 18.8cm x 35cm) or 4 standard sheets (approx 18.8cm x 26cm). The pack contains plenty of glue and paper and you could use any leftover to complete a mini project or two (eg make a pebble paperweight or a jam jar pen pot). There are lots of paper collections to pick from: you can see all the choices here.
For ages 8+
- encourages creativity
- develops fine motor skills
- aids concentration
Set of 8 Hearts
- You may wish to prime your shape first by coating in white acrylic paint or gesso. Light coloured decoupage paper becomes transluscent when applied so a white undercoat will help the paper retain it's appearance. When applied to unprimed wood or mache, light colours will let the background colour show through.
- Spread a small patch of glue onto your object, just a little bigger than the piece of paper you are going to stick, as the glue dries very quickly and if you spread a large area it will dry out and be wasted.
- Apply the glue thinly to avoid soggy paper.
- When you've finished, remember to check your object carefully all over to fill any gaps and flatten any lifted edges.
- Try adding buttons, stick on gems or other embellishments to jazz up your finished piece.
- Use your spare glue and paper to transform another object.
- Have fun!!!
Delivery is £3 per order
Spend £50 and save 10% using code FAIRY10